During the autumn of 2014 Transcom Italy organized a special training course for their top executives and managers. Their task was to:
- Cook a full meal to share and enjoy together
- Prepare a rich cocktail buffet for their Business Support Team colleagues and the Regional General Manager Roberto Boggio
The two-day cooking course, “Made in Transcom”, forms part of a wider-ranging training program organized throughout 2014, in order to develop leadership skills and promote effective teamwork among the people in Transcom Italy who are responsible for managing processes and delivering business results.
The Cooking Day had some very specific purposes:
- Draw attention to individual as well as the team’s strengths and identify areas for improvement
- To develop the fundamental aspects of group work and effective communication
- To stimulate attention to details, in order to guarantee service quality
- To analyze the level of engagement and approval, in order to improve the well-being of each individual and the team as a whole
The participants were split into three groups, one assigned to making lunch and the other three to prepare the cocktail party. The expertise of the chef and sous chef were recognized immediately and used as key resources in achieving the objective. Although they were divided into groups and had different culinary backgrounds, all course members worked together and shared information both with each other inside the same group and with different groups. No deadline anxiety was felt by the team and a calm and pleasant atmosphere was established right from the outset, encouraged no doubt by the informal setting and the fact that the cooking skills of all course members were at more or less the same level.
A practical session at the end of the training course identified the most important values shared by participants during the two-day event, both at individual and group level (Confidence, Collaboration, Sharing, Passion, Integrity and Respect), and the behaviors that best express these values.